Rating Dog Food Brands
This page provides ratings from all the dog food we've tried for Rusty. All the food is rated out of 5 stars and will get a star for each og the following:
- Availablily - how easy is it to find on the shelves
- Ingredients - What is the food composed of and how beneficial is it to my dog's health
- Packaging - how is the food presented
- Price - how cost effective is this food
- Taste - based on the dogs reaction to the food
1. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Puppy Dry Dog Food
Brand: Blue Buffalo
- Availablily - As most of the products mentioned, this food was found at Target. However, it was pretty available because everytime we went, it was in stock.
- Ingredients - Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley, Menhaden Fish Meal (Source Of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Peas, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Flaxseed (Source Of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Flavor, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Pea Protein, Fish Oil (Source Of Ara-Arachidonic Acid And Dha-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Calcium Carbonate, Dl-Methionine, Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice For Color, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), L-Carnitine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil Of Rosemary
- Packaging - The packaging was great. It comes in a resealable packaging to keep the food fresh.
- Price - It is not the priciest. It sells for $33.00 a bag, which isn't that expensice given the amount of food that comes in it.
- Taste - Rusty did not like the taste that much. He didn't reject it; he ate it. But, it was obvious that it wasn't the tastiest food to him.
Final Rating: 3/5
2. Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Availablily - As Targets in-house brand for pet food, this brand was always in stock at almost all the locations.
- Ingredients - Chicken, Chicken Meal (Source Of Glucosamine And Chondroitin Sulfate), Brown Rice, Dried Peas, Barley, Rice Bran, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Turkey Meal, Flaxseeds, Natural Flavor, Fish Oil, Salt, L-Threonine, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dl-Methionine, Citric Acid (Preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative), Iron Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract
- Packaging - The packaging also came in a resealable packaging to keep the food fresh, which was an added bonus.
- Price - A 5lb bag was $7.99. One bag lasted about a week, so that means 4 bags a month, which adds to up about $31.96 a month. That is still cheaper than the Blue Buffalo brand.
- Taste - Rusty liked the taste of the kindfull brand.
Final Rating: 4/5
3. Pedigree Chicken & Vegetable Flavor Puppy Growth & Protection Complete & Balanced Dry Dog Food
- Availablily - It was pretty available in store. It's a popular brand, so it was always in the stores.
- Ingredients - Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Meat And Bone Meal (Source Of Calcium), Animal Fat (Source Of Omega 6 Fatty Acids [Preserved With Bha And Citric Acid]), Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Brewers Rice, Natural Flavor, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Fish Oil [Source Of Dha] Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Brewers Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Dried Peas, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Bha And Citric Acid (A Preservative), Niacin, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Dried Carrots, Blue 2, Red 40, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Potassium Lodide, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
- Packaging - The packaging was not the best. Since it was not resealable, it made it hard to keep the smell inside the bag.
- Price - a 3.5lb bag was 5.99. Though it seems cheap, it can add up. One bag lasts maybe a week, so you have to add it up weekly. However, it wasn't very different than the others.
- Taste - Rusty did not like the taste. We were actually glad because it had by-product meal, which is something we try to avoid in his food.
Final Rating: 3.5/5
4. Purina Beneful with Real Chicken Healthy Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Availablily - It was in stock at some locations, but not that available.
- Ingredients - Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Barley, Whole Grain Wheat, Rice, Soybean Meal, Beef Tallow Preserved With Mixed-Tocopherols, Poultry By-Product Meal, Glycerin, Egg And Chicken Flavor, Mono And Dicalcium Phosphate, Fish Oil, Natural Flavor, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Oat Meal, Dried Peas, Dried Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Iron Oxide (Color), Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Biotin (Vitamin B-7)], Choline Chloride, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Dl-Methionine. K409318
- Packaging - The packaging was not that great. It was haed to close and the food stunk a lot.
- Price - It was pretty pricy. It's $7.49 for a 3.5lb bag, which adds up to around $40.00 a month.
- Taste - Rusty refused to eat it. So, its safe to say he did not like it.
Final Rating: 2/5
5. UnKibble Beef & Barley Dry Dog Food
Brand: Spot and Tango
- Availablily - This is an online brand. So, its not that available but well worth it. Though it is online, the service is pretty good.
- Ingredients - Beef, Barley, Flax, Carrots, Green Beans, Beef Liver, Beef Heart, Beets, Cranberries, Rosemary, Kelp, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols (natural source of Vitamin E), Vitamins & Minerals
- Packaging - The packaging is excellent. It comes in a resealable packaging to keep the food fresh and the food does not stink at all.
- Price - It is very pricy. It is a subscription and renews itself every month. It is about $80.00 a month, so very expensive.
- Taste - Rusty loves this food the best. It is his current food and he looks forward to it every meal time.
Final Rating: 4.5/5
back to home